Skip to main content

your Passion(s)

What's your passion?

Movies? Music? Reading? Writing? Running? Etc?

One thing I know about me, I don't have just one, in fact I get really ADD, as in, I'll start a book, then forget about it and finish it months later (disclaimer: UNLESS it's a James Patterson thriller).  I will binge a series on Netflix then not watch TV for days, I'll re-watch the same movies because it's easier then attempting a new one....and the list goes on.

One other thing I know about me: since the day I saw Titanic, I knew I would never be the same.  Don't laugh.  The movie itself unleashed an obsession, infatuation, and love for not just Leonardo DiCaprio, but more seriously, ships. Sunken ships mostly, but also boats, cruise ships, oil rigs, sail boats--- you name it, if it floated, or sunk, I wanted to know about it.

Before I knew it I lived, breathed, and dreamt of sunken ships.  Of seeing one in person, of the books I had bought at Barnes and Noble, and second hand book stores- when my mom realized all the 'coffee table' books and hard back novels were really adding up...I could not get over the eerie, mysterious love that I felt for ships that now rested at the bottom of the sea.  The people that had walked the decks and slept in the rooms, the stories of why and how they sank, who was on them ,where were they going, all the way to what each state room, cafe, propeller or helm and everything else looked like.  And what the people went through during the sinking.  To this day, this 'passion' per say, has not swayed and I don't think it ever will.  It has remained the constant in my life.

Some may find this to be a very odd constant, understandable.  I am sure I am not the only little kid in 1997 who saw this movie and it sprouted a new love for something, though.  I think something positive came of it.  I wanted to read and learn and watch every documentary I could get my hands on.  How many kids these days are watching documentaries or reading...? Not many.

Passions are an interesting thing but I think in the long run they become your most comforting thing because it is something you have put time and energy into knowing, so when you talk about it you KNOW what you are talking about and it may even take you back to a fond memory of when it began, that in itself brings me great comfort.




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

relationship(s)

I had happy hour with a very good friend on Friday who always helps me assure myself; sometimes it's needed to hear what you know is true from an outsider.  He's very smart, assertive and essentially knows what he is talking about as he is wise beyond his years.  Anyway both of us were single a little over a year ago and have now been in successful relationships- him over a year now and me coming up on it in a few months.  It's weird to think that a year ago we spent Valentine's Eve together because he was newly dating and I had no one so we did a little pre-celebration together.  The year before that we were each other's Valentine's and spent a night out in We-Ho and had a blast, this year we both have serious people to spend it with.  It's amazing how time changes everything. We were discussing our relationships with our guys, with each other.  Currently mine is long-distance until April, pause for tears, no no, I am fine.  And his is about to go f...

4 Goodbyes...

If you are faint of heart...don't read this blog post. Death for me was a distant thought, I had seen it in movies, I had watched friends lose friends and family members, but up until the last few months, I hadn't personally experienced it, minus my great-grandmother when I was 17, she was 99 and healthy, just died in her sleep of old age and I was not close to her so I really didn't feel all the feels. My experiences started several months ago, some meant a lot to me, some were just weird and some gut wrenching. I was a nanny for several years, before I moved to LA 2.5 years ago, for many different families and usually ended on wonderful notes with each family when I parted ways, however, with on in particular mom, it ended not so sweetly. Her name was Kim, and I was basically hired to be her friend.  She was a surgeon's wife and had two kiddos.  She wanted companionship, someone to talk to and hang out with, she fast became someone I could tell all my stories ...